FCSE-FAMILY & CONSUMER SCIENCE EDUCATION
FCSE 345. Management Concepts in Family and Consumer Sciences Teaching - 3 cr.
Incorporation and application of management concepts in family and consumer sciences subject matter. Practical experience teaching management and ways to use management skills to plan, implement, and evaluate the teaching-learning transaction.
- FCSE 245. Overview of Family and Consumer Sciences Teaching - 3 cr.
- Overview of planning and teaching skills. Supervised experiences in observing and directing the learning of secondary family and consumer sciences students. Philosophy and history of the profession.
- FCSE 348. Teaching in Informal Family and Consumer Sciences Settings - 3 cr.
- Learning principles and theories with application in informal family and consumer sciences education situations. Includes supervised experience in use of teaching strategies. Prerequisite: overall GPA of at least 2.5 or consent of instructor.
- FCSE 408. Field Experience Extension - 1-9 cr.
- Experience in program planning and implementation with 4H groups, homemaker groups, and other community groups in extension programs. Practical experience with supervision by resident faculty as well as supervisor at the work site. Performance at work site will be graded in accordance with university standards. Attendance at one weekly class session required. Prerequisite: overall GPA of at least 2.5, C or better in FCSE 446 or consent of instructor. May be repeated for a maximum of 9 credits.
- FCSE 445. Vocational Programs for Youth and Adults - 3 cr.
- History and development of vocational education programs. Ancillary functions of family and consumer sciences teachers. Experiences in extension programs and teaching.
- FCSE 446. Teaching Methods I for Family and Consumer Sciences - 3 cr.
- Objectives, content, and organization of family and consumer sciences curriculum in high schools; materials and methods of teaching. Prerequisites: FCSE 245 and FCSE 345 and an overall GPA of at least 2.5, or consent of instructor. Restricted to majors.
- FCSE 447. Teaching Methods II for Family and Consumer Sciences - 3 cr.
- Planning, preparation, and strategies for teaching family and consumer sciences in the secondary schools. Preparation for employment. Prerequisites: FCSE 245, FCSE 345, FCSE 445, FCSE 446 and an overall GPA of at least 2.5, or consent of instructor. Restricted to majors.
- FCSE 448. Supervised Teaching in Family and Consumer Sciences - 9 cr.
- Seventy (70) days of full-time supervised teaching in selected high schools. Experience in community activities. Prerequisite: FCSE 446, an overall GPA of at least 2.5, and consent of instructor.
- FCSE 492. Special Problems - 1-4 cr.
- Individual research study in a selected subject area of family and consumer sciences. Maximum of 4 credits per semester and 6 credits toward degree.