TCEN-ENVIRONMENTAL AND ENERGY TECHNOLOGY
- TCEN 111. Phot Volataic Basic Electrical Principles - 4 cr. (3+2P)
- Focuses on resistance, current, voltage, and power in AC and DC circuits; measurements; computations of series and parallel circuits; circuit analysis; and troubleshooting with basic test equipment as applied to renewable energy systems. Corequisite(s): OETS 104.
- TCEN 112. Photo Voltaic Design Fundamentals - 4 cr. (3+2P)
- A study of photo voltaic design basics, photo voltaic (PV) Cells, modules, and system components; electrical circuits; grid-tied/grid-interactive PV system design and sizing for use on homes; solar electric products and applications; and understanding energy conversion from sunlight to electricity, and working with solar conversion equipment. Pre/Corequisite(s): TCEN 113.
- TCEN 113. OSHA 10 Hour Construction Hazard Identifications - 1 cr.
- Intended for entry-level participants to provide instruction on a variety of construction safety and health standards. Topics include Introduction to OSHA, Electrical, Ladder, Excavation, Scafford, and Forklift Hazards, Fall Protection, Materials Handling, Personnel Protective Equipment and Confined Space Entry Hazards. Meets OSHA 10-Hour Requirements.
- TCEN 221. Roofing Materials and Methods - 3 cr. (2+2P)
- Covers application techniques and estimation of asphalt and wood roofing products and accesories including gutters and flashing. Presents roof penetration, roof loading issues, and energy system installation requirements for mounting photo voltaic or solar thermal systems. Prerequisite(s): TCEN 112.
- TCEN 222. Photo Voltaic Grid Tie Installation - 2 cr. (2+1P)
- Concentrates on providing the student photo voltaic installation information necessary to tie into the electrical grid system. In addition, teaches the student how to layout an installation for maximum performance using standard industry tools such as a Solar Path Finder. Conduit bending, wiring, roof penetrations are also part of the course. Prerequisities(s): TCEN 112.
- TCEN 223. Photo Voltaic National Electrical Code Principles - 2 cr. (2+1P)
- Focuses on all sections of the National Electrical Code and local code requirements applicable to photo voltaic electrical installation. A partial list of areas covered is chapters one through four and section 690, "Solar Photovoltaic Systems" of the National Electrical Code. Prerequisite(s): TCEN 112. Pre/Corequisite(s): TCEN 222.
- TCEN 250. Photo Voltaic System Integrator Fundamentals - 3 cr.
- Teaches the student project management fundamentals for working with homeowners, businesses, government, contractors, and manufacturers to design, build, and install complete alternative energy systems. Covers photovoltaic, small wind, and micro-hydro system designing, permitting, budgeting, and cost estimating requirments. Prerequisite(s): E T 125. Pre/Corequisite(s): TCEN 222.
- TCEN 251. Advanced Photo Voltaic On/Off Grid Installation - 3 cr. (2+2P)
- Photo Voltaic advanced topics to include panel racking and installation, battery storage, charge controllers, mechanical integration of arrays on buildings, and key elements involved in choosing a mounting system. Prerequisite(s): TCEN 222.
- TCEN 252. NABCEP Certification Preparation - 1 cr.
- Preparation for the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) Photo Voltaic and Solar Thermal Installation Certification. Prerequisite(s): TCEN 222. Pre/Corequisite(s): TCEN 251.
- TCEN 253. Photo Voltaic System Troubleshooting and Maintenance - 3 cr. (2+2P)
- Covers photo voltaic system troubleshooting and maintenance topics to include equipment, electrical, and installation problem areas. Prerequisite(s): TCEN 222. Pre/Corerequisite(s): TCEN 251.